Existing medical conditions
With SGIO Travel Insurance, there are many medical conditions that we cover automatically without needing them to be listed on your policy.
Having a travel insurance policy does not automatically cover claims arising from, or exacerbated by, Existing Medical Conditions or pregnancy. However, you can apply to have Existing Medical Condition cover included within your SGIO Travel Insurance policy by answering some simple questions. If we agree to offer cover for Existing Medical Conditions, it may be subject to special conditions, limitations, excesses and amounts payable depending on your age and your trip duration and destination.
We consider an Existing Medical Condition as:
Any physical defect, condition, illness or disease for which treatment, medication, surgery or advice (including investigation) has been received or prescribed by a medical practitioner, dental or health professional in the 180 days prior to the relevant time; or
Any chronic or ongoing (whether chronic or otherwise) medical or dental condition, illness or disease medically documented prior to the relevant time.
Please note: If you're unsure whether you have an existing medical condition, please call travel 1300 305 790 for assistance.
Existing Medical Conditions that we cover automatically:
- Acne. If no treatment has been required by a medical practitioner in the last 60 days
- Allergies. If the condition has not required treatment by a medical practitioner in the last 6 months and the person with this condition have no known respiratory conditions (e.g. Asthma)
- Asthma. If there has been no exacerbation requiring treatment by a medical practitioner in the last 12 months, and the person with this condition have no other underlying lung conditions or disease, inclusive of, but not limited to Chronic Bronchitis, Chronic Obstructive Airways Disease or Emphysema, whether chronic or otherwise. The person with this condition must also be under 60 years of age
- Cataracts/Glaucoma. If the person with this condition has no ongoing complications, are not on a waiting list for an operation and have not been operated on in the last 30 days
- Coeliac Disease. If the condition has not required treatment by a medical practitioner in the last 6 months
- Diabetes/Glucose Intolerance. If the person with this condition was diagnosed over 12 months ago and have not had any complications in the last 12 months. Must have stable Blood Sugar Level readings between 4-10mmol/L or a HbA1C score of 8% or less. The person with this condition does not have evidence of damage to their kidneys, eyes, nerves or blood vessels as a result of the diabetes, or have any known cardiovascular disease, hypertension, hyperlipidaemia or hypercholesterolaemia. This also includes recurrent or long-standing lower limb ulcers. The person with this condition must also be under 60 years of age at the date of policy purchase
- Ear Grommets. With no current infection at the time the policy was taken out or once any part of the relevant trip is paid for depending on the type of policy chosen
- Epilepsy. If there are no underlying medical conditions (e.g. previous head trauma, stroke) and You have not required treatment by a medical practitioner for a seizure in the last 2 years
- Gastric Reflux. If the condition does not relate to another underlying diagnosis (e.g. Hernia/Gastric Ulcer)
- Gout. If the gout has remained stable for the last 6 months
- Hiatus Hernia. If no surgery is planned
- Hip/Knee Replacement. If performed more than 6 months ago and less than 10 years ago
- Hypercholesterolaemia (High Cholesterol). If the person with this condition has no known heart conditions
- Hypertension (High Blood Pressure). If the hypertension is stable and managed by a doctor and the person with this condition has no known heart or cardiovascular conditions, and or changes to their medication within the last 12 months, and or are not suffering symptoms of, or having investigations related to their blood pressure
- Menopause. Provided the person with this condition does not suffer from Osteoporosis
- Peptic/Gastric Ulcer. If the condition has remained stable for the last 6 months
- Underactive/Overactive Thyroid. If not as a result of a tumour
Conditions that need assessment
If you or any of the people travelling with you on your trip have any other Existing Medical Conditions that they would like cover for under your Travel Insurance policy, an online medical assessment will need to completed.
If you're aware of the pregnancy prior to the relevant time an online medical assessment must be completed if any of the following apply:
- There have been complications with this pregnancy or any previous pregnancy
- You have a multiple pregnancy
- The conception was medically assisted (including hormone therapies and IVF)
You can complete this as part of your SGIO Travel Insurance quote.
Please note that an additional premium will apply and additional restrictions may apply to the policy.
Whether or not you have to apply for pregnancy cover, the following restrictions apply for any person where a claim may arise in any way as a result of pregnancy:
- Cover is only provided for unexpected serious pregnancy complications which occur before or during the 23rd week of pregnancy
- No cover is provided for childbirth or the health of a newborn child, irrespective of the stage of pregnancy at which the child is born
Expectant mothers should therefore consider whether they travel under this policy, particularly if travelling beyond the 20th week of pregnancy.
Limits, conditions and exclusions apply. SGIO Travel insurance is issued by Great Lakes Australia (ARBN 127 740 532, ABN 18 964 580 576, AFSL 318603 a member of the global Munich Re Group). Cover-More Insurance Services Pty. Ltd. ABN 95 003 114 145, AFSL No. 241713 acts under a binder authority from Great Lakes Australia. Cover-More will administer the policies and arrange for the issue of insurance on behalf of Great Lakes Australia. Insurance Australia Limited ABN 11 000 016 722, AFSL No. 227681 trading as SGIO Insurance will arrange for the issue of SGIO Travel Insurance.
This is general advice only. To see if the product is right for you, always consider your own needs, financial situation and the Product Disclosure Statement